Friday, June 22, 2012

Excitement

*            TWILIGHT AND JANE EYRE SPOILER ALERT            *

(Just in case you haven't read them and evenutally want to.  I hate being spoiled, so I thought I'd give a heads up.)

So, I started jotting down my little idea yesterday, and today I've been elborating on it because my computer software at work has decided to have a 'tude with me today--seriously, like every other day, it does not work.

I am so excited about this new book.  It has just been a fun idea of mine that I've had for years.  I'm not huge into the vampire thing.  I loved the Twilight books (except the last one--don't work up to some huge fight scene and then not have it, k?  And don't even get me started on the movies and Kristin Stewart now being the most paid actress in Hollywood....)  I've never really wanted to jump on the vampire crazy train, so that's why I never put words to my little idea until yesterday.

To me, it's just a fun project to work on while I figure out where Maggie's book is going.  I don't think I will ever pursue publishing it or anything, but I am having so much fun researching for it.  It's set in New Orleans, which I find to be one of the most mysterious, creepiest, coolest cities in America, and many of the characters are of Cajun descent or Lousiana Creole.

In college I had a "History of the English Language" class, and we discussed Pidgin, which I believe is where the Creole language originated--from the West Africa and Carribean slave trade (don't quote me on that; it's been years since I've had that class, but I think that's where it came from.)  And I also read The Wide Sargasso Sea in my Lit Crit class which is a kind of prequel to Jane Eyre (very interesting book anyone who is a Jane Eyre fan should read.)  It takes place in the Carribean and tells the story of Mr. Rochester's crazy, Creole, attic wife.  I love knowing both sides of the story, so I'm glad someone decided to elaborate on hers.  But don't even get me started on that love triangle and how I never liked Rochester and think Jane could've done better....

I really don't want this to be a vampire novel that glorify's vampires.  I've thought about having some kind of vampire love interest, because it seems like that would be the natural course for the book, but I don't like vampires.  I was Team Jacob.  I didn't trust the vampires.  While reading the Twilight books, I kept waiting for Edward to turn on Bella and attack her.  I think this goes back to an episode of "Are You Afraid of The Dark" I watched when I was like 7 and parts of "Interview With a Vampire" I saw when I was 10 which seriously scarred me for life.  I slept with my sheets pulled up around my neck for years.   Bottom line, vampires are not good or nice or make great husbands.  They are bad, and I don't like them.

So, to recap, having fun researching for the new book, Kristen Stewart has the personality of notebook paper, you should read Wide Sargasso Sea, and I don't like vampires.

-JGP

No comments:

Post a Comment